Arts and Sciences at Rutgers
An Exhilarating Experience!
As a student in the School of Arts and Sciences, you'll be at the center of undergraduate education at Rutgers. Our faculty and programs provide the scope and vision to help you discover your life’s mission.
We are home to poets, philosophers, mathematicians, and neuroscientists; experts in climate change, women’s history, and exercise science; scholars of the Middle East, Africa, and the Caribbean, and experts in more than two dozen world languages.
Graduates of the Arts and Sciences at Rutgers have left their mark on the world. Some have done so quietly. Some in spectacular fashion.
They range from actor, singer, and civil rights activist Paul Robeson to Ella Watson-Stryker, one of the Ebola fighters named Person of the Year by Time magazine, and from Nobel-laureate economist Milton Friedman to Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist Junot Díaz to the Ford Motor Company CEO Mark Fields.
Now—it’s your turn.
The School of Arts and Sciences at Rutgers has multiple opportunities for you:
- More than 100 majors and minors in life sciences, physical and mathematical sciences, humanities, and social and behavioral sciences
- SAS Excellence Award Program Scholarships for incoming and continuing students
- An Honors Program that offers the academic environment of a small arts and sciences college within one of leading research universities in the nation
- Enrollment in unique First-Year Seminars with senior members of the faculty
- Signature Courses led by award-winning faculty in state-of the-art lecture halls exploring questions of enduring importance and new challenges of the 21st century to create a common basis for intellectual exchange outside the classroom
- Opportunities for one-on-one research with faculty through the Aresty Research Center
- Internship and service-learning opportunities, both locally and abroad; More than forty study abroad programs in twenty countries
- Information and support for transfer students
- Opportunities for joint degrees with other Rutgers undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs
- The choice to live on any of five residential campuses, including the only women's residential college in the nation, and for off-campus students to affiliate with the activities of the campus of their choice
- More than 30 graduate degree and certificate programs and faculty connections to nearly 100 postgraduate programs universitywide
- Accelerated health professions programs, including joint degrees with medical, dental, and physician-assistant programs offered through the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey
The School of Arts and Sciences provides an education of uncommon breadth and depth.