Giving to the Department of History
"Education means emancipation. It means light and liberty. It means the uplifting of the soul of man into the glorious light of truth, the light by which men can only be made free."
- Frederick Douglass, "Blessings of Liberty and Education," September 3, 1894
History faculty at Rutgers have led the way in the study of women and gender, African Americans, and U.S. culture. They have also pioneered in comparative and global approaches to research and teaching. They strive constantly to make the past relevant to the present and future.
Rutgers School of Arts and Sciences has an exciting opportunity to fund graduate programs in the humanities and to build an endowment that will support those programs in perpetuity. The prestigious Andrew W. Mellon Foundation will give the School of Arts and Sciences $2 million for an endowment if we raise $3 million in graduate support by June 30, 2017. If you’d like your gift to help us meet the Mellon Challenge, please click here.
We invite you to make a gift to any or all of the following dedicated funds which support our Undergraduate and Graduate Programs. Just click on a fund to make your secure online donation:
- Contributions to the Claudia Clark Rebecca Gershenson Megan McClintock Fund Provides a subvention for the publication of a first book by a recent Rutgers history PhD by a university press.
- Contributions to the Horace & Marie Marucci Latin American History Fund Helps pre-dissertation students with travel and other expenses.
- Contributions to the Harold Poor Fund Supports prizes for the three best honors papers annually, as well as cultural activities related to class trips, theater, lectures and films.
- Contributions to the Richard Schlatter Memorial Fund Assists graduate students with travel expenses associated with their research. Grants from this fund have been particularly helpful in allowing students to do dissertation research outside the United States.
- Contributions to the Warren Susman Fund Provides financial support for the annual graduate student conference, now in its 35th year.
- Contributions to the History Honors Program FundSupports the research of students in the History Honors Program.
- Contributions to the Unrestricted Fund to Support Faculty and Undergraduate ProgramsSupports many programs and special initiatives for both graduate and undergraduate students including conferences and speaker series.Graduate Student Support
Support undergraduate and graduate students by providing travel stipends and awards for exceptional teaching and research. Awards include honors for outstanding theses, dissertations, and publications, and travel funds to facilitate student research presentations at professional conferences.
Our vision of the future includes obtaining funding for undergraduate research, graduate student fellowships, and the expansion of outreach to enrich the lives of New Jerseyans.
To learn more about these and other exciting giving opportunities, please contact the School of Arts and Sciences Development Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.