Strategic Plan: Values, Vision, Mission
VALUES: WHAT WE BELIEVE
- THE PUBLIC GOOD: Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey contributes to the public good as an engine of scientific discovery, cultural and artistic creativity, social mobility, and economic growth.
- THE LIBERAL ARTS AND SCIENCES: At Rutgers, the School of Arts and Sciences is the institutional embodiment of the humanities, the social and behavioral sciences, the life sciences, and the mathematical and physical sciences.
- ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE: Excellence in these disciplines is the essential academic identity of all great universities.
- NEW KNOWLEDGE: The arts and sciences thrive in an environment that emphasizes their global significance and focuses upon the discovery and transmission of fundamental knowledge about the natural world and the human past, present, and future.
- EDUCATION AND RESEARCH: In a public research university like Rutgers, the School of Arts and Sciences educates citizens, trains the next generation of scholars and scientists and public leaders, and undertakes transformative research of value to our entire society.
- THE PUBLIC RESEARCH UNIVERSITY: Unfettered access to a superb liberal arts education for a diverse student body in New Jersey's only public research university is essential to our state, our nation, and our world.
- COMMITMENT: The sum of these values at the School of Arts and Sciences is an enduring commitment to research, education, and service.
VISION: WHAT WE ASPIRE TO BE
- The School of Arts and Sciences will offer a liberal arts education of the highest quality to a student body that uniquely combines academic excellence and social, economic, and cultural diversity.
- The School of Arts and Sciences will be an international leader in research across the disciplines and will be among the top 10 public schools of arts and sciences in the United States in extramural research support, scholarly output, and the quality of graduate education.
MISSION: WHAT WE DO
The mission of the School of Arts and Sciences is to serve the State of New Jersey through teaching and research that extend the boundaries of human knowledge and improve the quality of human life.